Amazon Holiday Deals

Sunday, January 4, 2009

I SAY: School's No Fun

> This is an article that I have some things to agree on, and on some things, to disagree. I choose to keep silent, and see what others will say about it. Anyway, below is the full post:

 

 

From TODAY, Voices

Friday January 2, 2009

 

Going to school is more a chore than an adventure

----------

Suresh Kumar

 

AS MY son was putting away his new textbooks, I asked him if he was looking forward to the new school year. His reply was an emphatic no. His incredulous look suggested that I had no idea how trying school was. I tried to cheer him up by suggesting that he would learn new things and make new friends in school, but he did not believe me.

 

Later in the week, my son’s good friend and classmate visited our house. He is a cheerful lad with a zest for life. I asked him if he was excited about going back to school. “No!”, he squealed, “It’s so boring!” I quickly changed the subject.

 

Another of my son’s friends also dreads returning to school. When I asked my son why, he replied: “Kids don’t really look forward to going back to school, you know?”

 

Why are these boys not excited about going back to school? It is not as if they have difficulty following their lessons. In fact, they invariably finish among the top five in their class. Could it be that they don’t find the teaching inspiring or interesting? Their replies suggest that they considered school a chore rather than a learning adventure.

 

So, how can we make school more interesting for the kids? By giving them less or perhaps even no homework? By adopting more conceptual teaching methods? Getting out and doing more fieldwork? By making more field trips to the markets, museums, gardens and libraries maybe? Or perhaps getting famous personalities to talk to them and fire up their imaginations? For a change, lessons could even be taught outdoors. Honestly, I don’t have the answers. But what I do know is that childhood should be carefree and children should learn beyond their textbooks.

 

When I interact with my son and daughter and their friends, I cannot but help admire their energy, imagination, curiosity and spirit of adventure. It is for the Ministry of Education and primary school principals and teachers to nurture and harness these qualities by making school fun. Remember, kids are now exposed to high quality video games and cartoons. Their idea of what is fun and interesting has moved on.

 

As my daughter prepares to start Primary 1, I wish schools were so much fun that the kids could not wait to go back.

 

Suresh Kumar is a creative consultant based in Singapore.

Email your views to news@newstoday.com. 

 

No comments: