Amazon Holiday Deals

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Dream a little dream

The FantasticksImage via Wikipedia

This is a late posting, but I will post just the same, as I am sort of following this girl's (fast becoming a lady now) steps in the industry

----------

Performing on Broadway and singing with Adam Lambert are just two of Julia Abueva's dreams


Teen singing sensation Julia Abueva.

SHE HAS been featured on Oprah, performed for heads of state, and starred in musicals Sleepless Town and The Fantasticks. She gave her first stage performance when she was seven and, six years later, performed her first full-length solo concert. Not bad for a 13-year-old (she'll be 14 in November).

And Julia Abueva, who will perform a solo recital at Popstars City this Friday, said she isn't planning to stop any time soon.

"I really want to pursue singing for the rest of my life," said the girl who cites the Pussycat Dolls, Beyonce and Adam Lambert as musical heroes. "I have two really big dreams: To be on Broadway, or make it as a recording artiste."

Plans for another solo concert are already underfoot, and she's going to perform a second run of The Fantasticks in November.

Her recital show will feature "mostly songs from musical theatre". "Broadway is my strength," said the eighth-grader at the Singapore American School. "I've loved it ever since I was small."

What do you think you've gained in your musical journey so far?

I gained lots of discipline. I've learned to juggle singing and school. I'm not going to lie, it's very difficult! And there are days when I'm like, 'I can't do this anymore'. But since I love performing and singing so much, if I want to continue doing it, I have to prove that I can do it.


You appeared on Oprah last year and you'll be on a show on Channel NewsAsia this year. What do you think about that?

It was funny because CNA went to my school during the open house and I was walking around with my friends and the TV crew was following me. My friends asked, 'You have your own TV show?' It was a lot of fun!

Who would you like to perform with?

I can't perform with him, but I would like to meet Simon Cowell. I think he's a really cool dude, even though a few people might not like him. But, oh, Adam Lambert - I would like to do a duet with him.

What keeps you motivated?

I think I'm very blessed. My parents didn't know anything about the industry, but the offers kept coming. And I thank the Lord everyday for the blessings. I'll take whatever opportunities come. But stay grounded, that's what my parents keep telling me. And my friends would say that if I ever put on a diva attitude they would be the first to shoot me!


Catch Julia Abueva in An Evening With A New Star at Popstars City, on Friday at 8pm.

----------

From TODAY, Plus – Thursday, 27-Aug-2009


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: